As managing director of designcraft, I am all too aware that furniture and joinery manufacturing and supply has a significant impact on the health of our planet.
These negative impacts arise during transportation of raw materials to our factory and finished goods to our customers, energy consumption during the manufacturing process, and disposal of waste products, including packaging materials, after delivery.
Over the last few years all of us at designcraft have worked hard to reduce our environmental footprint by:
- Maximising production and supply efficiency to reduce transportation costs;
- Sourcing local products and materials whenever we can;
- Reducing overall energy consumption and investing in renewable energy;
- Enforcing a stringent companywide policy of REDUCE,RE-USE, & RE-CYCLE for all package and waste materials.
As a result of these efforts, I am pleased to say we have achieved a real milestone over the last 8 months by producing more than 100% of our total electricity requirements on site!!
This outcome was achieved as a result of a 2 year program to reduce energy consumption by:
- Upgrading almost all our internal light fittings to energy efficient LED’s and compact fluorescent’s and;
- Investing in over 170 kilowatts of rooftop solar panels and;
- Being mindful of unnecessary electricity usage.
Total Electrical PRODUCTION at designcraft September 2020 to April 2021 186.05 MW
Total Electrical CONSUMPTION at designcraft September 2020 to April 2021 153.90 MW
That means designcraft is 100% carbon neutral for electricity over this period !
And have saved approx. 170 tons of CO2 from being vented into the atmosphere!
In addition we have just started down the path toward electrification of our transport vehicles with the installation of our first electric vehicle charging station and purchase of our first rechargeable electric vehicle.
Thanks to all our customers and staff for helping us to reduce our electricity usage and environmental footprint!
SHOP by CATEGORY